Monday, December 17, 2012

REVIEW: Mark of the Witch by Jessica Gibson


Title: Mark of the Witch
Series: Boston Witches #1
Author: Jessica Gibson
Published Date: May 29th, 2012
Publisher: self-published
Format: ebook
Pages: 192
ISBN1475119836
Copy provided by: friend
Genre: fantasy
Add to: Goodreads
Purchase: Amazon / Barnes and Noble
Rating: 4 stars

Goodreads synopsisMagic flows through Jillian Proctor's veins as surely as blood, but so far her life outside Boston has been peaceful. William Morgan blows into Jilly's life like a hurricane, unleashing her magic and sending her out of control. Unknowingly, William brings an enemy who only wants to posses the power of the witch. Jilly must learn to harness her magic before she loses it - and everything in her life is destroyed.

My review: I have the second book of the series on my nook, waiting for review. I had started it and realized it definitely was not one of those stand-alone books in a series. I'm so glad I got a chance to read this book. It's awesome. It sort of reminds me of my old favorite TV show, Charmed. 
I liked Jilly because she wasn't whiny. I liked Caroline because I could relate to her pain in ending her marriage. And William's just a sweetheart. The action is good, and I can't wait to read the next!
There are only two things I can complain about this book. First is location. The book is set in Boston, and we know that only because we're told once or twice in the book. No references to where in Boston, no street names. Yes, I live near Boston, so it would have been nice to see that. Are they in Boston-Boston? Are they in Dorchester, Cambridge, Somerville? There are woods around the house so could they be living where I am, in a suburb near the Middlesex Fells Reservation?
And the last thing is a niggling thing. It's the Coke they drink. Growing up down in New Orleans, I drank Coke all the time. When I moved to Boston, I had to drink Pepsi. Its almost as if Coke doesn't exist up here. Yes, you can get it in the stores, but hardly anyone buys it. 



No comments:

Post a Comment